The Stanford Theatre first opened in 1925, and it served for decades as Palo Alto’s premier movie house.
In 1987, after a blockbuster Fred Astaire Film Festival, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation bought the theatre and restored it to its original splendor. It is now owned and operated by the non-profit Stanford Theatre Foundation, presenting classic Hollywood films.
The renovated Stanford Theatre quickly became America’s most popular place to watch classic Hollywood movies. More people saw Casablanca here on its 50th anniversary in 1992 than anywhere else in America.
221 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301